Walk Two Moons (Playlist and Book) 📖

I was reading Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech (which is one of those books that fit the "don't judge a book by it's cover" category bc the cover makes the book look so stupid and not worth your time). While I was reading it (I read it in one day so this shouldn't surprise you but) there was a song running through my head, Saturn by Sleeping At Last.



You taught me the courage of stars before you left
How light carries on endlessly, even after death
With shortness of breath, you explained the infinite
How rare and beautiful it is to even exist

I couldn't help but ask 
You to say it all again
I tried to write it down
But I could never find a pen

I'd give anything to hear
You say it one more time
That the universe was made
Just to be seen by my eyes

I couldn't help but ask
You to say it all again
I tried to write it down
But I could never find a pen

I'd give anything to hear
You say it one more time
That the universe was made
Just to be seen by my eyes

With shortness of breath, I'll explain the infinite
How rare and beautiful it truly is that we exist.


This might seem like a better song for, say, A Fault in Our Stars or Grey's Anatomy or Theory of Everything, or some movie that is about stars and is sad. But it was the song running through my head so, duh, it reminds me of the book now, bc that is me and every single song I listen to basically.

Anyway.

I love this song now, bc I love the book. And if you've read the book, listen to the song. It says everything about the book that I can't say which sounds so stupid but it really does fit the book really well. And if you haven't read the book, go read it. If you haven't listened to the song, go listen to it. If you haven't done either, read the book and then listen to the song or do both at the same time. It's such a pretty song for such a, idk, "pretty"? book. It's not a pretty book, it's just a really sweet, sad book and it's also super interesting.

Some of it is pretty predictable (the thing abt Sal's mom, the thing abt Phoebe's mom and the lunatic) and some stuff I was not prepared for (the sweetness, the sadness, the story behind Mrs. Cadaver, the ending of the book) and some stuff I was expecting that never happened (I thought Sal would tell Phoebe her story but she never does). It's an amazing story that has some twists and turns that I thought I was able to predict that I wasn't able to predict - because they were twists, so duh I wasn't.

Also just a future note to anyone about to read it: Sal is a girl. It took me a few pages (like three or four) to realize that bc Sal is an androgynous name and they didn't use any pronouns or leave any clues for the reader for a while.

Read it: http://schools.misd.org/upload/page/0716/wtm%20print%20edition.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The true writer has nothing to say. What counts is the way he says it." ~ Alain Robbe-Grillet