Six of the Best Christian Books

I used to get really bored every Sunday afternoon, because I wasn't interested in reading the Bible, but I wasn't allowed to read or watch anything secular (on Sundays). In Christianity, Sunday is the Lord's Day, and we should spend the day focused on Him, and for my parents that meant doing everything we could do keep our minds and our thoughts in Him and cutting out anything that might take our minds off of Him. Which included secular entertainment.

If you're in my shoes, or you just want more Christian books on your bookshelf, I put together my favorite Christian books. Underneath my list I've also included some links to other lists that sound good, and have ones I want to read, but haven't.

My list is based on the following criteria: first and foremost, biblical and theological accuracy, as well as plot and structure, compelling characters and storyline, and how well it presents the Gospel. Lastly, the book has to be just as good as a secular novel of fiction (bc we should enjoy Christian books just as much as books without Christ).

I don't like much romance mixed in, because it takes away from the overall Gospel message and on a Sunday afternoon, fresh from the worship service, it feels borderline blasphemous haha and besides I don't read Christian fiction for the love, I read it for the Bible it presents. I try to stay away from the modern stories, set in modern times, and I lean towards books that are based on Biblical events (think God King, Hittite Warrior), or told from the perspective of someone living in that time (think Bronze Bow).

Beyond The Desert Gate Mary Ray (read after Ides of April)

Bronze Bow, The Elizabeth Speare

God King, Joanne Williamson

Hittite Warrior, The Joanne Williamson

Ides of April, The Mary Ray

Scottish Seas Douglas Jones III

Since my list isn't super extensive, if you want something more along the lines of modern Christian fiction, read through this list, maybe you can find something worthwhile. The problem I have with lists like that one is that they're all too often focused more on the characters and their worldly struggles and less on their faith, or their faith comes secondarily to everything, almost like God is an afterthought. I appreciate the books that are centered more on Biblical things than on the struggles that you find in every secular books you pick up. I can always find a character who has struggles, burdens, doubts, hurdles they have to overcome. I can't always find a character who uses their faith to guide them, or who comes to Christ because of what they see in their life/the lives of those around them. I also just prefer reading about books set in Christ's day instead of my day.

Another list I really appreciate would be this one, I love how she went about putting it together and breaking down the reasons behind these books, as well as breaking the books themselves down and really getting in depth about why they're good books. Haven't read a single one of them but after reading the post I'm sure they're all well-written and the kind of book I'm looking for.

List I'm not so sure about but would like to check out later would be this one. Not sure if any of them are biblically sound, or whether the authors are even Christians (and by Christians I mean Baptist/Presbyterian/Methodist/that kind of denom, since I'm Baptist and Presbyterians and Methodists have similar theology), and I've never heard of these books so I have no idea what they're like, but I'll check them out later.

There's a very extensive Goodreads list that I found which might be promising. Lists on Goodreads can be hit or miss since they're a group effort, and I have no idea where each contributor stands as far as theology goes, so some of these books may be completely off-track. It includes Chronicles of Narnia which are not theologically sound, especially the last book which strays far from the Bible (particularly in regards to life after death and the way God, or in this case, Aslan, deals with those who die unsaved). I also think they're a bit too story-like which makes it hard for me to keep my mind on Biblical things while reading them. They're well-written books, but too much fantasy for me, so I wouldn't read them on a Sunday, because it takes my mind off of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The true writer has nothing to say. What counts is the way he says it." ~ Alain Robbe-Grillet